MP fails to halt 1,500-home scheme progressing
Liz Lake AssociatesThe first phases of a 1,530-home estate have been approved - despite an MP joining locals in objecting over fears about increased traffic on surrounding roads.
Broadland District Council has approved the first tranche of 405 homes at the Marriott's Park estate in Thorpe Marriott, on the outskirts of Norwich, at a meeting on Wednesday.
Barratt David Wilson Homes will be responsible for building 279 homes on land next to Reepham Road, while Norfolk developer Abel Homes will construct 126 homes off Fir Covert Road.
Road improvements will be made as part of the project. But the area's Conservative MP, Jerome Mayhew, said the housing was reliant on the now-failed Norwich Western Link plan.
Broadland District CouncilThere had been plans to build a new road, known as the Norwich Western Link, to help alleviate traffic in the area but this project was scrapped because of concerns about its impact on rare bats.
Mayhew, the Conservative MP for Broadland, wrote to the council before the meeting to object, arguing it shouldn't go ahead without this infrastructure coming forward.
Locals also expressed their concerns at the meeting.
Frank Hughes, who has lived in the area for 28 years, told councillors: "As a resident, I think it will be detrimental to individuals in Taverham.
"My concern is we have a great development opportunity, but we don't have the infrastructure."
Jo Copplestone, Conservative councillor for Coltishall, agreed there were issues.
She said: "I am very aware the roads going through from the Fakenham Road to the A47 are not fit for purpose."
Google MapsBut council officials sought to reassure locals that the highway network was sufficient without the new road.
An officer said: "The conclusion that the local highway network was sufficient, with the off-site highway works proposed, was not made on the basis that the Western Link road would be delivered as there was no certainty that the Western Link road would be delivered.
"As such the outline permission does not require completion of the Norwich Western Link."
The scheme was approved and workers could move on to the site next month to begin building two new roundabouts.
A representative for Abel Homes said it hoped the first homes would be occupied by the middle of next year.
Do you have a story suggestion for Norfolk? Contact us below.
Follow Norfolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
