Firefighting at landfill site to continue 'for some time'

Elise BrandBBC Scotland News
News imagePA Media A landfill site next to some water and a windmill is on fire with smoke rising from the scene.PA Media
The fire broke out on Tuesday afternoon

Firefighting operations at a landfill site in Fife are expected to continue "for some time", according to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

Crews have spent a sixth day tackling the deep-seated blaze at Ladybank Waste Facility near Lower Melville Wood.

The SFRS said firefighters had been working "tirelessly" since the alarm was raised at 13:35 last Tuesday.

Area commander Lee Turnock said the fire was under control but urged people living in the surrounding area follow public safety advice.

The fire has spread across an area of recycling material and waste measuring about 200m (218yds) by 300m (328yds).

Two fire appliances and a high-reach vehicle remained at the scene on Monday, the SFRS said.

And they warned that, although the fire was now under control, smoke could travel a "significant distance", depending on weather conditions and wind direction.

News imageA green field with a windmill and trees in the back ground. Smoke can be seen rising from behind the trees.
Smoke could still be seen coming from the site last Friday

"While the fire is now under control, this remains a complex and protracted incident due to the deep-seated nature of the fire and the volume of material involved, Turnock added.

"People in surrounding areas may continue to notice smoke coming from the site as firefighters carry out damping down pockets of fire.

"We would ask residents to follow public safety advice, including keeping windows and doors closed and limiting time outdoors where smoke is present."

Nobody was hurt in the fire but a union has claimed staff had to climb a locked gate to escape.

Site operator Cireco Scotland said the claim was "speculation" but has promised a full investigation.

Smoke can still be seen around the site and road closures are in place locally.

Fife Council said it understood that it was a "worrying incident" for local people and disruptive for those travelling in the area.

They said the household waste recycling centre at the site was not affected by the fire and it will reopen once the fire is out and safe access can be reinstated.

News imageA fire engine is spraying water on a pile of waste that is smoking
The fire service described the incident as "complex and protracted"

Dr Joy Tomlinson, the director of public health at NHS Fife, said: "There is no indication of any significant long-term health risk to the wider public."

She advised people to follow the advice to keep windows and doors closed when there is smoke around, and avoid outdoor activity in the affected areas.

"This will help reduce the risk of irritation to the eyes and throat, coughing, and other symptoms that can be associated with smoke exposure," she added.

Meanwhile the Scottish Environment Protection Agency said its officers were assessing nearby watercourses but have spotted no signs of pollution.

The A92 from the Melville Lodges Roundabout to Ladybank Junction, which was closed in both directions due to the smoke from the fire, has since reopened.

The cause of the fire is yet to be confirmed and a review will take place once the site is safe to access and review.