Councillors suggest looking again at free parking
Babergh District Council/LDRSFree parking should be reconsidered to try to "protect the health and vibrancy" of local High Streets, councillors have said.
Babergh District Council has been asked to look into the idea following concerns over the impact of parking charges introduced in its Hadleigh, Lavenham and Sudbury car parks in January last year.
Deborah Saw, the authority's leader, said the charges had been "proportionate" in the face of financial challenges.
However, during an overview and scrutiny committee meeting on Monday, councillors highlighted concerns that the charges had been hurting businesses in the High Street.
Babergh District CouncilThe committee discussed a report about the impact of charges a year after they were introduced, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said
It showed the changes had netted the council just under £890,000 since April last year.
Drivers who had taken advantage of the system were now paying customers, and the charges made enforcement much simpler, the report added.
At least 90 customers are said to have abused the system each day by obtaining multiple free stays.
Paul Clover, Conservative member for Lavenham, questioned "whether this model is sustainable" during the meeting.
The charges increased again on Monday by 20%, or between 20p and 50p an hour.
Lucy Denham/BBCAccording to a separate report discussed in January, findings from the University of Suffolk showed no impact on footfall or money spent in the High Street since the charges were implemented.
Nevertheless, the committee still instructed the council to look at a range of schemes relating to parking, including vouchers – paid for by businesses to offer customers free or discounted parking – and a free period.
Kathryn Grandon, independent member for Hadleigh, said the council should be looking at supporting the economy.
"I would like to see something that Babergh does to constructively support our High Streets," she said. "And something to do with parking might help."
Saw said the authority was "perfectly willing" to discuss schemes, but stressed the council could not afford to take money out of its reserves.
A statement from Babergh District Council said: "We have been clear all along, that Babergh District Council no longer has the funds available to subsidise free parking without jeopardising other vital council services.
"We have also said throughout that we would consider and support any schemes put forward by traders, communities or others offering alternative ways to subsidise parking."
Correction 19 May: This article has been amended to make it clear that the prospect of free parking has been suggested by councillors on a committee. The council has not agreed to look at it.
Do you have a story suggestion for Suffolk? Contact us below.
Follow Suffolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
