Boy arrested after reports of stabbing

News imageRichard Price / BBC Police tape stretched between lamp-posts and other street furniture with an ornate blue clock in the middle of a town square and late 20th Century brick shopping centre behind. Richard Price / BBC
A police cordon was put in place on Tuesday evening

Police are investigating a reported stabbing in Stoke-on-Trent.

Staffordshire Police went to Upper Market Square in Hanley at 17:50 BST on Tuesday, after being told teenage boy had been stabbed in a fight involving a group of young people.

It said a 17-year-old boy from Stafford was taken to hospital and was later arrested on suspicion of possession of a bladed article in a public place and affray.

The force has been granted a dispersal order for the Hanley town centre area, giving it extra powers to disperse people if necessary.

It said the dispersal order would be in place until 18:11 BST on Wednesday.

In the meantime, it said officers were looking into the incident and it has asked for witnesses or people with footage from CCTV cameras, dashcams or doorbells.

Follow BBC Stoke & Staffordshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.