Empty cinema could open in spring, council says

Elliot Deadyin Colchester
News imageElliot Deady/BBC A man - Mark Cory - smiling straight at the camera. He is wearing a white shite and khaki coat and is standing in a leisure park where several units can be seen behind him.Elliot Deady/BBC
Liberal Democrat councillor Mark Cory said he was hopeful for the future of the Northern Gateway

A cinema that is currently empty will hopefully open in early spring after a national chain signed a deal to take it on, a senior councillor has said.

Colchester City Council said it had agreed a deal with Vue for the vacant unit at the Northern Gateway Leisure Park.

Another cinema chain – Cineworld – had signed up to take on the site but pulled out last year because of its ongoing financial issues.

Mark Cory, who oversees resources and assets at the council, said the authority hoped Vue would be able to start work at its new cinema before Christmas.

The Liberal Democrat councillor said 2026 would be a "big year" for the site.

He said the previous deal with Cineworld, which entered administration in 2023, had been agreed before the Covid-19 pandemic.

Several providers expressed interest in the unit after the deal fell through, he said, adding the council's preferred choice was Vue because it was a "really safe pair of hands" with experience of out-of-town developments.

News imageMode Photography An aerial view of an empty unit at a leisure park. It is a mostly grey building with some coloured blocks and beams.Mode Photography
Vue is expected to start work on transforming the empty unit into a nine-screen cinema by the end of this year

Some neighbouring businesses, including a bowling alley and several fast food restaurants, have already opened at the leisure park – next to Colchester United's stadium.

But Cineworld's withdrawal meant many other vendors hoping to set up shop at the Northern Gateway followed suit or pressed pause on their plans.

Cory said he was hopeful Vue's nine-screen cinema would encourage other restaurants and leisure providers to take on the empty units.

"The site is getting there but the cinema was the anchor tenant, so we've been waiting for that.

"There are units open and it is buzzing but it could be so much better, so in the new year we're hoping to get more interest and eventually get the whole site functioning.

"That will help offer not only lots of experiences for families, but also good income back into the council which this was meant to provide. At the moment, that is touch and go."

News imageElliot Deady/BBC The inside of an empty unit at a leisure park. The grey-coloured floor and the walls appear to be rendered, without any decorating.Elliot Deady/BBC
The inside of the cinema remained empty when the BBC visited on Wednesday

A planning application has already been made to install Vue's branding at the site, as first reported by the Daily Gazette.

Vue said it would provide more information about its Colchester cinema "in due course".

Follow Essex news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.

Related internet links