Man died from 'blast injuries' in house explosion

News imageFacebook A young man with short dark hair and stubble drinks a cup of tea and eats a cooked breakfast in a cafe. Facebook
Ryan Kelly, 41, suffered fatal injuries in the blast at a house in Bristol

A man who died alongside his former partner when an "explosive device" was detonated died from multiple blast injuries, an inquest has heard.

Ryan Kelly, 41, suffered fatal injuries to his head, neck and torso in the explosion at a property in Sterncourt Road, Bristol on 3 May. His former partner Jo Shaw, 35, also died.

Three other people, including a child, sustained minor injuries. Avon and Somerset Police are treating the cause of the explosion as deliberate and have recorded Shaw's death as a homicide.

An inquest was opened at Avon Coroner's Court but adjourned until 11 August pending reports from a GP, the police, ambulance service and pathologist.

It is also awaiting a statement from Kelly's family.

During the brief hearing on Wednesday morning, coroner's officer Andrew Eastwood told the court Kelly was pronounced dead at 07:00 BST on the morning of the blast by paramedics,

"The brief circumstance has been that the deceased died as a result of an explosive device being detonated at an address in Bristol," he said.

He added, that: "Inquiries are ongoing with the Avon and Wiltshire Partnership."

No members of Kelly's family attended the hearing.

News imageFacebook A selfie of a young woman with long dark hair. She is wearing heavy eye makeup and a nose ring and has a black chocker necklace around her neck. She appears to be in a car, with the seat belt visible.Facebook
Jo Shaw's cause of death was ruled as "penetrating fragmentation blast injuries to the chest and pelvis"

An inquest into the death of Shaw, who worked as a personal assistant, was opened and adjourned on Monday.

Her provisional cause of death was given as "penetrating fragmentation blast injury to the chest and pelvis".

News imageA red brick two-storey house with hedges in front. A window on the ground floor is boarded up.
Emergency services were called from a person inside the house

Avon and Somerset Police previously said a call was received from a person inside the house at 06:17 BST reporting a domestic-related incident where a man they knew had forced entry into the house.

The caller stayed on the line while officers were dispatched to the house, and at 06:30 BST the caller told police the man was believed to be in possession of an explosive device.

About two minutes later, the fatal explosion was recorded.

News imagePA Media An aerial shot of the scene of a house explosion in Bristol. There are two red-brick properties, one of which has a boarded up downstairs window. Police and forensics officers and a police van can be seen in the street behind a cordon. There is also a forensics tent at the scene.PA Media
Neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution after the explosion

Officers arrived at the property at 06:34 BST, with fire and ambulance services shortly afterwards.

Residents in neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution, and searches were carried out by the army to ensure the area was safe.

Searches also took place at an address in Speedwell where Kelly lived, but no evacuations were ordered.

The force referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), due to previous police contact with the victim prior to the incident.

Follow BBC Bristol on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to us on email or via WhatsApp on 0800 313 4630.