Agreed football stadium move to be reconsidered

Elena ChiujdeaLocal Democracy Reporting Service
News imageMaidenhead United A CGI image of Maidenhead United's potential new stadium, showing people milling outside it. It appears to have an open terrace with people meeting and wooden cladding on the outside at the top of a small stand, with windows beneath it.Maidenhead United
The Magpies want to move to Braywick Park and have consulted on plans for its potential new ground

A football club's plan to move to a new ground is to be reconsidered by the council.

Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council had approved Maidenhead United's potential move to six-acre plot at Braywick Park in April, if planning permission was granted.

On Monday, its cabinet meeting agreed more scrutiny was needed after details of 148 objections from residents were not published five days before the meeting, as is recommended in local government guidance.

Maidenhead United said it respects the democratic process and the need for the local authority to consider all points of view in its decision making.

News imageGetty Images Fans wearing hats and coats are gathered around the pitch at a small football ground. Across the far wall, the words 'Maidenhead United' are spelled out in large letters across a wall. Getty Images
Maidenhead United's York Road ground is thought to be the oldest senior football ground in the world to be continually used by the same club

Maidenhead has played at its current ground, York Road, since 1871 and it is thought to be the oldest senior football ground in the world to be continually used by the same club.

The Magpies are offering £2.5m for a 999-year lease of the land, with £2m of this to be invested in other sports facilities at Braywick Park, including the refurbishment of the athletics track.

Councillor Adam Bermange confirmed all the comments from the public consultation were made available to councillors before they made their approval decision but they were not published in the suggested five days before the meeting.

Councillor Helen Taylor, said residents in the area had been "hit time and time again'"and the residents were "utterly fed up of losing their space".

"I'm concerned that the people that this is affecting, the other sports activities and events which happen on this land, have not yet been consulted because the minute you extinguish public rights, that's it," she added.

Objections include additional traffic congestion, the loss of the green space, and the impact the move could have on Forest Bridge School.

Councillor Jack Douglas said he was "very uneasy" about the impact on children attending the school, which is for pupils with special educational needs.

Maidenhead United said: "We fully understand and respect the democratic process and the need for Cabinet to consider all points of view in its decision making.

"As a non-profit making organisation, we remain fully committed to the project and benefits it will bring to Braywick Park, community sport and the wider town both now and for future generations.

"As this proposal develops, we will continue with our positive engagement with a wide range of stakeholders, the general public and RBWM to maximise benefits for all."