Underage drinking at club 'not an isolated incident'

News imageBBC/Daniel Hodgson The front of a nightclub. It has large windows and double doors with wooden frames. The name Lounge Afrique in large letters is etched on a glass arch, above the door. BBC/Daniel Hodgson
Middlesbrough Council suspended Lounge Afrique's licence in July

Alleged underage drinking at a nightclub was "not an isolated incident", a public health officer has argued.

Middlesbrough Council's licensing committee is reviewing The Lounge Afrique on Corporation Road after its licence was suspended last month.

Cleveland Police said underage girls were served drinks before one was allegedly raped. The council's principal public protection officer said there was a "pattern of concerns", including a room containing two double beds, which the licence holder Percy Quarcoo said was used for sleeping.

Quarcoo said he was bringing in new measures, including a new security team, a safeguarding lead and strengthened age verification.

Following the meeting on Monday, the Labour-led council's licensing committee said it would give its decision in the next five working days.

It was told of nine other police reports at the town centre bar in the past two years, included suspected drink-spiking and sexual assault, along with a report the club was being used as a brothel.

'Grave concerns'

Council licensing, public health and children's services representatives suggested revoking the licence altogether.

Fiona Helyer, principal public protection officer for licensing, said they had "grave concerns" about the club's management.

"These reports indicate a pattern of concerns that cannot simply be dismissed as isolated incidents."

She said she welcomed the steps taken by the licence holder and the improvements, but added: "The alleged entry of multiple children into the premises, the apparent failure of age verification controls, the serious safeguarding concerns that have arisen, and the history of previous incidents collectively demonstrate significant failings."

Cleveland Police previously said the alleged offence against a girl under 16 "possibly wouldn't have happened" if the club had been more rigorous about checking people's ages.

In response, Quarcoo admitted there had been "flaws" and expressed concern for the young person involved, saying: "We recognise that this should not have happened.

"We're taking this very seriously," he said. "We want to be the best in class when it comes to managing our venue."

'Everything's changing'

Quarcoo said he was bringing in enhanced staff training, new procedures and audits, and was taking on the role of premises supervisor himself.

He agreed allowing young people into the bar and serving them drinks made them vulnerable, and accepted licence conditions had been breached, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

"I hold my hands up, absolutely," he said. "We're deeply sorry about everything."

However, Helyer said Quarcoo's desire to move on from the past "doesn't cut it".

She asked him: "If you've breached licence conditions from day dot, what's the change?

"Why should the committee have confidence that these things won't happen again?"

Quarcoo answered: "Everything's changing, different culture, behaviour... It's going to be a whole new thing, including myself."

Follow BBC Tees on X,Facebook, Nextdoor and Instagram and listen to Radio Tees on BBC Sounds.