Teenager arrested after 15-year-old dies in Manchester stabbing

Dan WareingNorth West
News imageBBC The scene of the stabbing with a police car in the foreground and a blue forensic tent in the backgroundBBC
A blue forensic tent could be seen at the scene in Moss Side

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested following the death of another teenage boy who was stabbed in Manchester.

The teenager, also 15, was found with stab wounds about 16:30 BST on Monday, after police responded to reports of a disturbance on Monton Street, Moss Side that involved "a number of people".

A section 60 order has been put in place until Tuesday afternoon, giving police the power to stop and search people in the area.

Police said that the suspect had been arrested on suspicion of murder, and will remain in custody for questioning.

A blue forensic tent could be seen on the street earlier.

Ch Supt David Meeney, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "Our thoughts are with the victim's family and friends after this tragic and upsetting incident, and our specially trained officers will be supporting them at this difficult time.

"This incident will understandably have caused shock and concern within the community and the surrounding area, particularly those who witnessed it."

Witnesses with information are being encouraged to contact the force directly.

News imageThe scene in Moss Side, showing a police car and police cordon in front of a large church building
Police responded to reports of a disturbance in Moss Side on Monday night
News imageGeneral view of the scene at night, with a police car and cordon in the rain
A police patrol car, pictured at the scene on Monday night

Listen to the best of BBC Radio Manchester on Sounds and follow BBC Manchester on Facebook, X, and Instagram. You can also send story ideas via Whatsapp to 0808 100 2230.

Related internet links