Inquests to open for three sisters who died in sea

Tanya GuptaSouth East
News imageSussex Police The three sisters, seen as teenagers, and their father sit together at a restaurant table, from left to right, Jane Adetoro, Joseph, Christina Walters and Rebecca Walters.Sussex Police
The three sisters, seen here with their father as teenagers, died in the sea. From left to right, Jane Adetoro, Joseph, Christina Walters and Rebecca Walters

Inquests are to be opened into the deaths of three sisters who died in the sea off Brighton.

Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, from the Uxbridge area of London, died in what police described as a "tragic incident" on 13 May.

Coroner Penelope Schofield is set to open the inquests in Brighton next Friday.

Emergency services were called last week to a report of a person in the water near Black Rock car park in Madeira Drive. Two other bodies were also recovered from the sea nearby.

Their father, Joseph, paid tribute to his daughters earlier this week and said: "No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives."

He said the three had been "more than daughters" to him, describing them as "my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love".

News imageGetty Images Police vehicles and officers in the Black Rock car park on Madeira Drive after the bodies of three women were recovered from the sea in Brighton. The car park is next to a pebble beach, where two more officers are standing in the distanceGetty Images
Emergency services were called to the scene at about 05:45 BST on 13 May

Sussex Police said an investigation into how the three women came to be in the water was ongoing, but there is no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality.

Ch Supt Adam Hays previously said that specialist detectives were working hard to gather the full facts and circumstances of their deaths.

Heartfelt tributes were left on Brighton Beach for three women, with handwritten notes and flowers placed at the scene.

News imageGeorge Carden/BBC Bouquets of flowers on a bench with a hand-written note.George Carden/BBC
Flowers and handwritten notes were left on the beach after the women were found

Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.

Related internet links