Wedding fireworks cancelled over wildfire fears

News imageReuters Red and white star-shaped fireworks in a black sky. The silhouette of a person is in the foreground with their face turned up watching the display and there is a hand holding a mobile film. Reuters
Pennyhill Park Hotel thanked the locals for voicing their concerns

A Surrey hotel's fireworks display has been cancelled after residents in the area voiced concerns it might spark wildfires in neighbouring woodland.

Pennyhill Park Hotel & Spa in Bagshot had told locals it would be holding "a professionally managed, approximately five minute display" at 22:00 BST on Saturday as part of a wedding celebration at the venue.

It stated that a "detailed risk assessment" had been undertaken and "additional precautionary measures introduced", including "two private fire engines and a crew" on site .

However, some feared stray embers could cause "massive destruction" to the adjacent Swinley Forest, prompting the event's cancellation.

Protestors called it "incomprehensible" that such a display would be allowed, given recent government guidance regarding what not to do in the current drought conditions.

More than 1,000 wildfires have been recorded in England and Wales this year, according to data shared by the National Fire Chiefs Council.

They said that, despite the hotel's risk assessments, "there is no way they can account for the trajectory of all their fireworks".

"It would only take one ember to fall on a tree canopy to cause massive destruction to Swinley forest and the surrounding properties," added one.

A spokesperson for Pennyhill Park said: "Earlier this week, we proactively sought guidance from both Surrey Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) and local government.

"While fireworks were not recommended due to the current conditions, they confirmed there was no formal restriction in place to prevent the private event organisers from proceeding."

However, they added that "ongoing internal discussions and the concerns raised by our local community", along with further formal advice from both SFRS and the council, had led to the display being called off.

"We're incredibly grateful to our neighbours for making their voices heard," the spokesperson said.

A SFRS spokesperson confirmed its fire safety team had been in contact with the hotel to "provide advice and guidance, and to ensure appropriate fire risk assessments have been completed".

Follow BBC Surrey on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Surrey on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.