Further order to stop trespassers at former store
BBCA closure order has been issued due to concerns about anti-social behaviour at a derelict department store in Nottingham city centre.
It comes after consistent calls to police over children and young people entering the former Debenhams building in Long Row.
A three-month closure order was granted for the Grade II listed building in December, after youths had been seen on the roof.
Nottinghamshire Police said the further closure order would be in place until 20 August and would give the force "greater powers" to deal with those who attempt to enter the building.
The store closed in May 2021 as part of the wider closure of all Debenhams outlets and the building has remained vacant since.
Nottingham City Council said "multiple incidents" had been recorded at the site this year and there had been seven arrests.
"One of the most recent incidents on 13 April 2026 involved a three‑hour police operation to safely resolve a situation involving a young person on the roof," a spokesperson said.
The authority said the earlier closure order granted in December led to a reduction in reports.
However, it added incidents "escalated again" following the expiry of the initial order in March.
Danni MacRaeClosure orders are governed by the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, and are used to tackle serious disruption caused by occupants or visitors to a property.
A breach of these orders is a criminal offence, punishable by imprisonment and/or a fine.
An alley gate in Norfolk Place, which police said had been a "major route" into the building used by trespassers, has been closed off as part of measures to prevent access, police added.
Ch Insp Kylie Davies said: "We are consistently called to the Debenhams site due to children and young people entering the site, climbing to the roof and putting themselves and the public at risk.
"This further closure order means that we have greater powers to deal with those who attempt to enter the premises, and we will not hesitate to use its full power."
The latest closure order was granted at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Wednesday for three months.
Nottinghamshire Police said it would be considering with the city council whether to extend the order beyond that point.
'Strong action'
A closure order was also made in relation to 31 Manston Mews, in Radford, following reports of "drug use, prostitution and ongoing disorder" the city council said.
The authority said "repeated efforts to resolve the issues through engagement were unsuccessful", including safeguarding referrals and attempts to engage with the tenant.
Councillor Matt Shannon, responsible for community protection and neighbourhoods, said: "People deserve to feel safe in their communities and free from the fear and distress that persistent anti-social behaviour can cause.
"We will not hesitate to take strong action where it is needed to protect the local community."
The property was made the subject of a closure order on Monday, prohibiting access for three months.
Listen to BBC Radio Nottingham on Sounds and follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.
