Man jailed after death threats to Jewish community

News imageMet Police A mugshot of a man with a wearing a white coat with a dark beard and short hair.Met Police
Tavius Jean Charles, from Hackney showed "no expression of remorse"

A man who shouted death threats at Jewish people in north London and said "it would be good if we blew up one of their schools" has been jailed for five years.

Tavius Jean Charles, 35, previously admitted eight offences against six victims of religiously aggravated threatening behaviour and religiously aggravated criminal damage between October 2025 and March 2026.

One victim, Barry Bard, said he was "petrified" by the death threats and described Jean Charles as a "danger to society".

At Southwark Crown Court, Judge Dafna Spiro said Jean Charles "repeatedly targeted individuals who were visibly Jewish in the street" and he had "no expression of remorse" since.

  • This story contains details that some readers may find distressing and/or offensive

Spiro said his offending "strikes at the fundamental values of a tolerant society", adding that "any attack on the Jewish community is also an attack on all of society".

Jean Charles appeared via video link from prison for his sentencing, during which he was also handed a restraining order banning him from entering the Stamford Hill area and from contacting victims.

The court heard on the afternoon of 16 March, while outside Belz Synagogue in Stamford Hill, north London, Jean Charles shouted at synagogue manager Barry Bard and his son that he would "kill not just you" but "all... Jews".

Around half an hour later, Joel Scher, who said his appearance was "orthodox Jewish", heard Jean Charles shout "I will kill you Jews" as he drove along Heathland Road.

Jean Charles then threw a stone which smashed Scher's passenger window and left Scher initially believing he had been shot at.

The court ordered Jean Charles to pay him £25 compensation, but the attack itself caused damage totalling £205.

Prosecutor Sam Lyon said Jean Charles was also heard by George Stamatakis on Dunsmere Road on 24 March, saying on his phone: "It would be good if we blew up one of their schools."

He was arrested by police on the same day.

'Terrified for their lives'

On 24 November last year, Barry Bard's nephew, David Bard, was standing by his car outside the synagogue when Jean Charles demanded his personal details, including his address.

When David Bard refused, the court heard Jean Charles replied: "What do you mean you're not obliged? Do you want to lose your life?"

Two days later, Barry Bard saw Jean Charles loitering outside the synagogue and taking photographs at about 23:10 GMT.

Jean Charles then shouted across the road "Jew, I'm going to kill you," leaving Barry Bard feeling "petrified", the court heard.

In a victim impact statement read to the court, Barry Bard described Jean Charles as "a danger to society", adding some of his congregation were "terrified for their lives".

On 18 December, Jean Charles told Shloime Bard: "Your people have called police on my address, so I will come and bash your door down."

Mr Lyon said Shloime Bard believed he was targeted "due to his visibly Jewish appearance".

Jean Charles was also sentenced for possession of crack cocaine with intent to supply on June 29, 2024 and possession of cannabis on August 3, 2024.

He was sentenced to two and a half years for the religiously aggravated offences and the same amount for the drug offences.

All but one of the hate offences were committed while he was on licence after his release in March 2026.

Jean Charles has 16 previous convictions for 36 offences, including possessing a machete.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to hello.bbclondon@bbc.co.uk