Man accused of child sex abuse dies before trial
BBCA man who was due to stand trial over 39 sexual abuse allegations dating back to the early 1980s has died while remanded in custody at HMP Leeds.
Colin Gaines, 73, from Bingley, had been due to face allegations relating to 10 male complainants and his trial at Bradford Crown Court was expected to last up to five weeks.
But earlier, prosecutor Julian Jones confirmed that on Wednesday the prosecution team was informed Gaines had died after being taken ill.
Judge Christopher Smith told the potential jurors that Gaines' death brought the proceedings to a close.
The allegations, which Gaines had denied, included sexual assaults and indecent assaults on young boys at various locations including the Richard Dunn Sports Centre and Shipley Swimming Pool.
He was also alleged to have indecently assaulted another young boy while on camping trips.
The original trial date of 20 March was adjourned when he was taken to hospital with pancreatitis, the court was told on Wednesday.
Gaines was discharged and ruled fit to stand trial on Monday.
However, he did not appear before the court and the proceedings were adjourned.
On Wednesday the court was told he had been taken ill and transferred to hospital.
No cause of death
Jones said Gaines had been in his locked cell alone and an ambulance was called after he was found vomiting.
While paramedics were present he became unwell and CPR was started before he was taken to St James's Hospital where he was pronounced dead just before 11:40 BST.
No cause of death has yet been identified and a report will now go to a coroner.
Listen to highlights from West Yorkshire on BBC Sounds, catch up with the latest episode of Look North.
